Steam announces Linux beta access

Moderator: lil helpers

principessa
General of the Board
General of the Board

Steam announces Linux beta access

Post by principessa » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:12 pm -0500

The Steam for Linux beta program is now open to the public! In order to participate in the beta, you must download the latest Steam Linux client (found here) or upgrade your existing Steam for Linux client to the latest version.
In addition, we will now track Steam for Linux client bugs using GitHub. This provides a better interface for tracking bugs than the forums used in the closed beta. The Steam for Linux repository (currently empty) is public, allowing anyone with a free GitHub account to create a new issue and edit or track it and search the existing bug database. The repository contains a readme file (README.md) detailing how to create a new issue (it describes the same format used in the closed beta).
The team will continue working through existing issues in the forum but it is strongly recommended that any new issues be entered using GitHub's issue tracking interface. The sub forums will remain open so that people can join/continue existing discussions about the Steam for Linux client.
And last but not least, we now have a steam installer package repository. There is a mailing list for announcing updates to the steam installer package. To subscribe, use the public mailman page located here: https://list.valvesoftware.com/cgi-bin/ ... /steamrepo.

Here's the change list for this release:

The Steam for Linux client closed beta transitioned to an open beta.
Linux - Fixed excessive CPU usage by the Steam client when running Team Fortress 2
Linux - Fixed overlay crash when starting Cubemen
Big Picture - Improved back navigation behavior throughout user interface
Big Picture - Added discount timers and other user interface to store
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
~Abraham Lincoln

Terminal
Major
Major

Re: Steam announces Linux beta access

Post by Terminal » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:16 am -0500

i've been in the beta for about a month and a half

the only game I own that works for it right now is killing floor

runs fine on my work computer running centos

Luturb
Major General
Major General

Post by Luturb » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:09 am -0500

This is Steam's attempt to not be put out of business by the Windows app store. Personally, I don't think I would be betting the farm on gamers switching to linux.

Terminal
Major
Major

Post by Terminal » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:17 pm -0500

Eh, that's not the only thing.

They are making their own gaming console. It's just a PC that runs their own distro, that uses Steam's new "Big Picture" function.

So, really, they're doing all of this linux beta access and shit to make sure that their client runs well in the environment and to see what hardware they can top in/out at. They're also pushing for game dev's to support linux, and have hinted that they'll be imposing penalties (taking more money) in the future for games that don't support it, ensuring that whatever games release for PC will be able to be run on their console.