PS3 games

Post by motherface » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:13 am -0500

Xarpolis
General of the Board
General of the Board

Re: PS3 games

Post by Xarpolis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:28 am -0500

I'll give you a definite maybe.

It really depends on the type of games that you like to play.

I personally have only played a few of the titles on that list. I've never touched a single Metal Gear Solid, and I don't care about a Pac-Man reboot.
That said, I don't feel that I'm missing out on anything and I've taken full advantage of my PS3.

I enjoyed the 3 Uncharted games and Skyrim, and the 2 Modern Warfare games that made it to PS3.

I loved the idea of LittleBigPlanet, and purchased it the day it came out. I put it down after only playing for about 3 days, and even then it was only a little each day.

I enjoyed Arkham Asylum. I have Arkham CIty, but have yet to play it.

I also have Grand Theft Auto 4, which I put down after playing for maybe 20 minutes. I really should give it another try, but god damn do I not have time to do this shit now that I'm a parent.
No sig for me.

Luturb
Major General
Major General

Post by Luturb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:32 am -0500

I played MGS4 like 4 years ago and didn't finish it and now I would like to give it another shot but it has some bigass update it wants to download and I'm afraid it's going to fuck my bandwidth cap. I hate my internet so much.

motherface
The Man
The Man

Post by motherface » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:51 am -0500

I love the 3 Uncharteds. I started playing Infamous and hated it.

motherface
The Man
The Man

Post by motherface » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:40 am -0500

Does GTA have a plot? From what I've seen of it the graphics look awful and I'm not really into driving games, so I think that whole genre is out.

Xarpolis
General of the Board
General of the Board

Post by Xarpolis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 pm -0500

Every version has a plot. The driving aspect is secondary to the running around and shooting.

All of the real game takes place using your gun to kill or intimidate people into doing what you want. The cars you steal are a play thing. Sure there's a few driving missions, but they're few and far between. Cars are usually just a tool to get to different locations.

I don't know the plot of 4 or san andreas, but GTA3's plot was this guy that just got out of jail and he gets into the Mob (or maybe back into the mob?) Anyway, he's a hit man for them and he takes care of all the bad guys that his boss needs taken care of. You rise through the ranks of the organization if you follow the story. Most people just run around causing havoc so they can battle the police.

GTA Vice City was a guy that works his way into becoming the mob boss. Similar story with some optional driving missions, but the cars aren't really the focus. It's more your ability to survive a bad situation by any means necessary.

The basic plot of San Andreas was you're a black dude in Cali that has to recruit people into your gang so you can eventually take hold of the city or something.

Then the basic plot of GTA4 is the russian mob. You're a russian/yukranian guy that has to do other mob shit. It's entertaining and you can be very violent. You don't HAVE to do missions (most people don't, they just fuck around). But there are missions to complete that give you a story.
No sig for me.

Luturb
Major General
Major General

Post by Luturb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:41 pm -0500

GTA4 was pretty fun. I never finished it either, I got to a level I couldn't beat and got mad and quit.

Luturb
Major General
Major General

Post by Luturb » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:53 am -0500

That one mission was too hard.

motherface
The Man
The Man

Post by motherface » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:02 am -0500

lawful wrote:IGN gave GTA4 a 10. a TEN mf, da fuck do you have to complain about.
The one GTA game I played look like complete shit and all anybody ever talked about was grabbing a hooker and fucking her in your car and then beating the shit out of her. Or like you said, beating up black people. I'm not really highbrow but none of that appeals to me. So if GTA 4 is basically that, or if the "game" aspect is just an afterthought, or if it's just multiplayer, then it's not for me.

motherface
The Man
The Man

Post by motherface » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:07 am -0500

So this looks like "steal cars, annoy people, wander around" is still the basic premise of the game, which is what it was when I first tried it. Though the graphics are better now.

motherface
The Man
The Man

Post by motherface » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:10 am -0500

I guess if it's $20 then I might get it someday. But if MGS4 is also $20 that seems like something more up my alley.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HKP88C/ref ... XFDQG34JNJ

Luturb
Major General
Major General

Post by Luturb » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:10 am -0500

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV#Plot
Spoiler:
Plot

Grand Theft Auto IV follows the story of Niko Bellic, a thirty-year-old veteran of an unnamed war in Eastern Europe, who is haunted by the betrayal of his 15 man army unit. Ten years later, after a smuggling run goes bad due to a betrayal from a partner, Niko leaves Eastern Europe[22] to escape the anger of his employer, Ray Bulgarin. After six months in the merchant navy (serving aboard the cargo ship the Platypus), and believing the stories of his cousin Roman, Niko comes to Liberty City to pursue the American Dream as well as searching for Florian Cravic, the man he believes to be the traitor of his unit. After his arrival, however, Niko quickly learns that Roman's tales of riches and luxury were lies concealing struggles with gambling debts and loansharks, and that Roman lives in a dirty apartment rather than a mansion.

Niko defends Roman from his loansharks several times, eventually killing Vlad Glebov, Roman's Russian loanshark, for having sex with Roman's girlfriend Mallorie. Niko also begins dating a friend of Mallorie's named Michelle and befriends with Jamaican drug and arms dealer "Little" Jacob Hughes. Niko also befriends steroid junkie and chop shop owner Bruce "Brucie" Kibbutz.

After Vlad's murder, Niko and Roman are kidnapped by members of the Liberty City Bratva, on order of Mikhail Faustin and his associate, Dimitri Rascalov. However Faustin is not angry with Niko for killing Vlad, and instead hires him. Niko quickly learns that Faustin is a psychopath when Faustin orders him to kill the son of Kenny Petrović, the most powerful man in the Liberty City Bratva. Dimitri tries to negotiate an agreement, but Petrović demands revenge. Dimitri presents Niko with two options: either Niko assassinates Faustin, or he dies. However, when Niko meets with Dimitri to collect on the assassination, Dimitri betrays Niko to his angry former employer Ray Bulgarin. Niko manages to fight his way through the ambush but Dimitri and Bulgarin escape.

Immediately afterwards Niko and Roman are forced to escape to Bohan when their apartment and taxi company are destroyed in arson attacks by Dimitri's men. To make ends meet Niko takes jobs for former gangbanger Manny Escuela, prominent drug dealer Elizabeta Torres, Irish mobster Packie McReary, and Algonquin drug dealer Playboy X. Niko also becomes an errand boy for both Mafia Capo Ray Boccino and crooked Deputy Police Commissioner Francis McReary.

However, things go poorly in Bohan: one of the drug deals that Niko is working for Elizabeta turns out to be a sting and another is busted. After the latter incident, Niko's current girlfriend Michelle then reveals that she works for a government agency and entraps Niko into working for Michelle's agency, known only by its cover: United Liberty Paper. Niko kills several known or suspected terrorists for the agency in exchange for the promise of assistance in finding the man who betrayed Niko's unit. The Liberty City Police Department begins to close in on Elizabeta, who kills Manny Escuela when he attempts a citizens arrest. Soon afterwards Elizabeta is arrested. According to the ingame news channel, Weazel News, she is sentenced to 300 years imprisonment (that is, 30 counts of drug possession with a sentence of 10 years each).

Niko assists Ray Boccino in a conflict diamond deal with Jewish Mafia Capo and diamond dealer Isaac Roth, which goes badly and leads to the diamonds being stolen by Luis Lopez and the money being stolen by Johnny Klebitz. In retaliation Boccino sends Niko to kill Roth and Johnny's friend Jim Fitzgerald.

In exchange for Niko's help, Boccino locates Florian Cravic, the man that Niko has been searching for. But when Niko confronts Cravic he discovers that Florian has changed his name to Bernie Crane and has become an effeminate homosexual. Niko immediately determines that Bernie is not the person responsible for his unit's betrayal, leaving him one remaining suspect: Darko Brevic.
Niko also works for both Playboy X and Playboy's mentor Dwayne Forge. After Niko kills Playboy's business partners as a favour for Forge, the relationship between Playboy and Forge becomes so poisonous that each asks Niko to kill the other, leaving Niko a choice between the two.

While in Algonquin Niko develops a strong connection with the McReary family, including Packie's older brothers Gerald and Derrick, and their sister Kate, with whom he begins a non-sexual relationship. Together Niko, Packie, and Derrick, along with "Saint" Michael Keane, heist the Bank of Liberty in Algonquin. However, the robbery does not go smoothly; Michael is killed and the others are forced to shoot their way out past the police to escape. After the robbery Niko works with Gerry McReary to destroy the relationship between the Ancelotti Crime Family and their Albanian muscle-men.

Meanwhile Derrick spends most of his share on drugs and alcohol, and sends Niko to eliminate former partners he believes are informing on him. Soon Francis McReary becomes concerned that Derrick's drug behaviour could ruin his plans to become police commissioner, and tells Niko to kill Derrick. Soon after Derrick asks Niko to kill Francis first giving Niko a choice between the two. In either case Niko is invited to the McReary funeral and informed that Gerry has been arrested.

After his incarceration, Gerry contacts Niko and asks him to help in the kidnapping of Gracie, the daughter of the Don of the Ancelloti Family, in exchange for a ransom of the "cursed" conflict diamonds stolen by Luis Lopez. However after exchanging Grace to Gay Tony for the diamonds, Niko and Packie are surprised by Ray Bulgarin, who claims the diamonds are his. In the ensuing gunfight the diamonds are thrown into a passing dumptruck and lost.

Niko also does work for the Pegorino family in Alderney, mainly with Associate Phil Bell, stealing heroin, and later for Don Jimmy Pegorino. This leads to a war between the Pegorinos, Pavanos, and Ancellottis. Eventually, after working for Pegorino several times, Niko is sent to kill Ray Boccino because Pegorino is convinced Boccino is an informant.
Toward the end of the story, United Liberty Paper locates Darko Brevic and brings him to Liberty City as a final reward. Niko confronts Darko, who is now a drug-addicted wreck, and learns that Darko betrayed the group for $1,000. The player is then left with the option of either executing or sparing Darko. Having dealt with his past Niko is summoned by Pegorino, who demands one final favour: to help with an extremely lucrative deal on the heroin in collusion with Dimitri Rascalov.[21]

Finale

The story features two possible endings depending on the choice made by the player at this point in the game: to strike a Deal with Dimitri or exact Revenge on him. In both endings Niko sees Pegorino as an enemy for allying so closely with Dimitri, and both antagonists are killed. The major difference in each ending is that either Roman Bellic in Deal or Kate McReary in Revenge dies.

If the player chooses to go through with the Deal, Niko meets Phil Bell to retrieve the money once Dimitri delivers the heroin to another location. However Dimitri takes the heroin for himself instead. Niko and Phil are forced to fight to escape, but retrieve the drug money regardless. Kate McReary, who was against making the deal, is disappointed with Niko and refuses to attend Roman and Mallorie's wedding. At the wedding, an assassin sent by Dimitri kills Roman with a stray bullet as Niko disarms and kills him. A devastated and vengeful Niko -- with Little Jacob's help -- follows some henchmen to where Dimitri and Pegorino are hiding. There he witnesses Dimitri betray and kill Pegorino out of greed before escaping in a chopper. Niko chases Dimitri to Happiness Island, where Niko kills Dimitri in the shadow of the Statue of Happiness. The story ends with Niko concerned for the well-being of his soul. After the end credits, Mallorie reveals to Niko in a phone call that she is pregnant with Roman's child, and later Kate calls Niko, saying that she will be there for him.

If the player chooses to exact Revenge, Niko ambushes Dimitri on the cargo ship Platypus -- the same cargo ship that brought Bellic into Liberty City in the game's intro -- and executes him. In the aftermath, Roman and Mallorie's wedding takes place and Jimmy Pegorino, furious after Niko's betrayal, commits a drive-by shooting outside the church that targets Bellic, but ends up killing Kate McReary. However, now that Pegorino has lost his ally Dimitri and angered both Niko (and thereby his many friends) and the five mafia families, the entire underworld of Liberty City wants him dead and he goes into hiding. With Little Jacob's help and Roman's support, Niko follows some henchmen to Pegorino's location where Niko attempts to kill him, but Pegorino escapes. Niko chases and executes Pegorino in the shadow of the Statue of Happiness. After the end credits, Roman reveals to Niko in a phone call that he and Mallorie are expecting a child and if it is a girl, they will name her Kate in memory of Niko's girlfriend. Packie later calls him and states that he will stay in Liberty City to take care of his mother, after mourning for the loss of his sister.

Luturb
Major General
Major General

Post by Luturb » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:15 am -0500

Like most games, it's basically an action movie where you control the main character. GTA's big innovation though, is that you don't have to actually follow the plot, and there are things to do and people to interact with that have nothing to do with the main story line so some people enjoy just exploring the world and causing general mayhem.

Jukas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jukas » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:26 pm -0500

motherface wrote:I guess if it's $20 then I might get it someday. But if MGS4 is also $20 that seems like something more up my alley.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HKP88C/ref ... XFDQG34JNJ

MGS4 was a fantastic game.. I felt some of the cinematic cut scenes dragged a bit and a couple of the missions felt cludgy but it was a solid 9.

Luturb
Major General
Major General

Post by Luturb » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:09 pm -0500

A movie with a completely incomprehensible plot.

Xarpolis
General of the Board
General of the Board

Post by Xarpolis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:29 pm -0500

Love, Romance, Puppies, beautiful scenery, a strong yet emotional man. You know, that kind of thing.
No sig for me.

Luturb
Major General
Major General

Post by Luturb » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:31 pm -0500

lawful wrote:dude. nukes, metal gears, rail guns, what other story elements do you need?
I don't need much, but every cut scene in that game I was like "what in the hell are they talking about?"

motherface
The Man
The Man

Post by motherface » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:42 am -0500

Do I need to play the previous games to understand what they are talking about in mgs4? Or does it not even matter (which is what it sounds like)?

Luturb
Major General
Major General

Post by Luturb » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:17 am -0500

It doesn't matter, and from what I understand even if you do play the previous games, you still won't know what's going on.

Xarpolis
General of the Board
General of the Board

Post by Xarpolis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:58 am -0500

So if the game is so confusing, what makes it so good that it gets high ratings? That seems strange.
No sig for me.

Luturb
Major General
Major General

Post by Luturb » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:12 am -0500

Graphics are great, game play is great, and even the cut scenes are pretty cool, but it's like watching a scene from the middle of a movie when you haven't seen the first half. They are talking about stuff that you have no way of knowing about.

motherface
The Man
The Man

Post by motherface » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:59 pm -0500

gran turismo 5 is sick for $18

Venkmen
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Post by Venkmen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:00 pm -0500

I have been thinking about getting that. For $18 I would definitely pull the trigger.

motherface
The Man
The Man

Post by motherface » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:56 pm -0500

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JKARN0/ref ... ZFV5Z4KY71

$20

It's pretty sweet, though probably a little too "perfect" for me. I kind of miss having guns or rocket launchers in my car. The 2p mode is nice though, which is the main reason I bought it. Amazon had a "new PS3 owner kit" with a DS3 controller, HDMI cable & USB cable for $35 Lightning Deal this week. I just wanted the controller but $35 was cheaper than I've seen anywhere else. I didn't want black, but oh well. So the controller + GT5 was $55.

motherface
The Man
The Man

Post by motherface » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:10 pm -0500

motherface
The Man
The Man

Post by motherface » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:23 am -0500

Figures I just got Uncharted 3 and GT5, since they're < $15:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/90210/n ... ontpage%29

damim72
Major
Major

Post by damim72 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:43 pm -0500

if you want a challenge, and i mean a "throw your controller across the room" challenge, try demon's souls

Xarpolis
General of the Board
General of the Board

Post by Xarpolis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:17 pm -0500

I hear that's a no room for error type of game, and death isn't pleasant. IE - You don't restart exactly where you died. It's like Mario Brothers.

But that's all hear-say.
No sig for me.

damim72
Major
Major

Post by damim72 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 am -0500

Yeah, it's brutal.

Xarpolis
General of the Board
General of the Board

Post by Xarpolis » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:36 pm -0500

So I've been playing the new Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix thing (long ass title).

It's the full game of Kingdom Hearts 1: Final Mix, Chain of Memories & the video sections of 258/2 Days

So far I'm having fun. I've always enjoyed this series, and I'm happy to see that they re-released it on the PS3. It's also nice to get a chance to see some of the "other" stories from the hand held games.
KH 2.5 is coming out next. That'll be KH2: Final Mix, and 2 of the other hand held games.

This is all in preparation for Kingdom Hearts 3. Good deal.
No sig for me.